Wednesday 30 December 2009

The Movies, Then and Now

Going to the movies hasn't been a big part of my life. Not in the years since I was a teenager, anyway. But one of the great things about being a grandparent is that it draws one into a host of experiences which are either new or long forgotten. So it was, today, when I took my 4 year old grandson to see "Where the Wild Things Are". I'm sure I enjoyed it at least as much as he did.

I was probably only four years old myself when I attended my first movie (we called it "the pictures" back then). That movie must have made quite an impression on me at the time, because I still remember that it was an animated film called "Dumbo". The technological advances in movie-making between Dumbo and Wild Things must be at least as great as those in telecommunications between the manual exchange party line and Skype. Not to mention the comfort of sitting in a modern cinema compared to the hard wooden forms in my hometown's community hall!

A few things I did miss today, though: God Save the King at the start (everybody must stand!), Movietone News, and dashing across the street to the shop for an ice-cream at half time!

No comments:

Post a Comment